What is a dermal filler and how does it work?
Dermal Filler is a semi permanent treatment to add volume in order to enhance and/or contour areas of the face. It can also be used to smooth fine lines and wrinkles and lift sagging skin.
Dermal Fillers are a gel made from Hyaluronic Acid which occurs naturally in the body and is resorbed by the body over time. Hyaluronic Acid has the effect of attracting and retaining water, instantly improving the skins appearance and texture by restoring the natural plumpness to the point where the wrinkles, depressions or folds can be minimised and lip volume can be restored.
What areas can be treated
Dermal fillers can be used to augment, correct and enhance the face. Popular areas to treat include:
- Nasolabial folds
- Marionette lines ( running downwards from the corner of the mouth)
- Lipstick or smokers lines (vertical lines around the mouth)
- Cheek smile lines and volumisation
- Lip enhancement and shaping
Increasingly more popular:
- Hand rejuvenation
WHEN WILL I SEE THE EFFECTS OF DERMAL FILLER TREATMENT?
Results are immediate and over 2 weeks this will continue to improve as the skin adapts to the filler.
HOW LONG DOES DERMAL FILLER LAST?
This generally depends on the area treated but generally will last from 3 to 18 months (sometimes up to 2 years). This is because over time the filler breaks down.
ARE DERMAL FILLERS SAFE?
Dermal Fillers are very safe when the procedure is carried out by a well trained practitioner.
ARE THERE SIDE EFFECTS WITH DERMAL FILLERS?
Common side effects include:
Uncommon side effects:
- allergic reaction
- skin discolouration
- unsatisfactory results
Results are instant. There may be some redness, swelling or tenderness at the treatment site and occasionally some bruising may occur around the treated areas. This is usually short term and will subside within a few days. If you have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact your practitioner.
For optimum results and post treatment recovery please follow these aftercare recommendations.
- avoid same day alcohol consumption
- exercise injected muscles
- remain upright for 4 hours post treatment
- avoid touching or rubbing the injected areas
- avoid alcohol consumption for 24 hours
- avoid high intensity exercise for 24 hours
- avoid extreme heat (saunas/steam rooms, jacuzzi/hot tubs, sun beds etc)
- avoid extreme temperatures and always wear a high factor sun block on your face
- do not apply make up same day unless it is mineral based
- You should avoid facial massages or skin resurfacing until the area has fully healed.